This soup was absolutely delicious! We had it as a side with chicken breasts. I will admit that we did eat it all. I ended up with my day only being 40 calories over the limit. This soup doesn’t have that many calories if you add it up. So don’t feel too guilty if you finish it off.
Slow roasting the tomatoes adds to the flavor. If you don’t have the time, you could skip this step and it would still taste great.
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Spread tomato slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Roast for 3-4 hours.
- Spray soup pot with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until onions have browned.
- Add diced tomatoes, basil, thyme, chicken broth and roasted tomatoes. Bring to boil and let simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Puree in blender to desired consistency and serve.